Monday, July 26, 2010

5 things...without numbers

I'm one of those people that needs to learn to say no. But, always feel badly when someone comes to me, begging, for help. So then I usually say yes, reluctantly. This past weekend was one of those times. Somehow, I was roped into chairing our yacht (the term, yacht club is used very lightly here. It's a barn where people store their sailboats and motorboats. It has a beach and picnic tables. White pants, docksiders or blazers are NOT allowed!) club's member-guest. I guess a small part of me wanted to do this event because I had seen this wonderful


diy project at a few stops around blogland.
So my trusty paper cutter and I became quite close. In about eight hours time

these, turned into

these.

Flowers were gathered from neighbors' gardens. Thanks to my friends, Nancy and Debbie for letting us cut their hydrangeas.

The band played and people danced...despite the heat and the rain and the humidity!

The lights were turned down low and people ate yummy food.

(not much left over, which made me extremely nervous)

And hopefully, everyone had a wonderful time.

20 comments:

Sarah said...

I love it!

Anonymous said...

How beautiful! I'm going to have to remember this idea, very cool. And I love the casual flower arrangements -- the colors worked out so well. Congratulations on a party well-planned!

Holli said...

Congratulations on a job well done! The atmosphere looked incredible and I'm sure everyone had a ball.

At Home Mommy Knits said...

Well it looks like everything turned out beautifully!!

At Home Mommy Knits said...

It looks like everything turned out beautifully!

Tara Thayer said...

all of this is really great, jane. you did a bang-up job.
and i love the photos, too.
xo, tt

t does wool said...

what a great party you did;))!!!!

anmarie said...

I'm planning a Bar Mitzvah...these might be just the thing! Thanks for the great idea!

ColorSlut said...

Looks amazing. I'm the same way about saying no - but it came out so nice! You did a great job.

Pomegranategrl said...

WOW! That looks fantastic!

Magnolia Handspun said...

Love the decoration...very clever. Beautiful simplicity and so colorful.
Looks like a great party!

rosemary said...

I applaued you....job well done....it looks so beautiful....love those mobiles!!

thistledowns wool & cotton said...

it looked wonderful jane! very fresh and your color palette was right on! nice work!

MadMad said...

Wow, Jane, it's beautiful! (But I think now you'll be stuck doing next year, too!)

Jill said...

Jane, those are positively gorgeous! They remind me of driftwood and I would have loved to see them in motion.

Tanya Willis Anderson said...

Stunning!! Love it.
Tanya

Unknown said...

Oh Jane, they are so fabulous, the room looks beautiful. I am going to make some tomorrow. Just because.

Larissa said...

You did a beautiful job! Love the colors you chose.

magnusmog said...

I saw the pics on Flickr - it looks wonderful. What a triumph :)

a friend to knit with said...

okay... maybe a job as party planner is in your future!!!

well, hello there...

 I thought I might start writing again.  Not sure what I will want to talk about.  The guys have their own lives and are making...