Saturday, December 1, 2007

Friday Round-up...A Day Late

Sorry this is a day late. I planned on writing this last night, but a trip to Urgent Care changed all plans. Ryan decided to test out my new rotary scissors on his index finger. All is fine, and the cut was fixed with a butterfly, but oh the drama of it all. Did you hear him at your house???


I have enjoyed reading all the gift and craft ideas out in blogland and thought I would add my two cents. So here you go! Our favorite books, both holiday and for general enjoyment.






First up:

Probably one of the best books I have read in a long time with my children. Ry and I read this together and could not wait until bedtime to read a few more chapters. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane is a wonderful book about giving and receiving the gift of love. The illustrations captivated Ry and the writing of Kate DiCamillo is outstanding. A must have in a child's library.


Next:


A true classic! The BFG by Roald Dahl has been a favorite with children for many years. Anyone who knows Dahl's works will marvel at his imagination yet directness to touch on issues that are important to any child. The BFG deals with being your own person and standing up to those of a group. Ry and I held many discussions about being different that probably would not have been started had it not been for this book.

Third:



This is for a bit older child. Matt and I surprisingly enjoyed Peter and the Starcatchers by Dave Barry and Ridley Pierson. As anyone who has read this or the reviews knows, you need to get pass all the spelling and grammatical errors in this book. Whoever edited this book for print has hopefully lost their job by now. This book could be used as a "what not to do" in Editing 101. Once passed that part, the book is full of action and typical ten year old humor. It's a new spin on Peter Pan.

Finally:



Mr. Willowby's Christmas Tree by Robert Barry was introduced to our family by my husband. I had never read this book as a child and I have seen that it has been since updated for today's children. It a perfect book for today's "green" world.
I'll have more next week and the weeks following up to Christmas.
One last thought. I linked the Edward Tulane book through Chinaberry. Take a look at this site. They have all the classic books yet many new and different books that you may not find at your big bookstores.
That's it! Have a great weekend everyone!

1 comment:

a friend to knit with said...

jane, i am SO excited to get these books! i am going to look for your first recommendation tomorrow...at barnes and noble....hope they will have it!

oh! sure hope the finger is not bothering him too much!
that rotary cutter is SO sharp!
can't wait to see what you will be making with it!!! :)

well, hello there...

 I thought I might start writing again.  Not sure what I will want to talk about.  The guys have their own lives and are making...