Tuesday, December 28, 2010

5 things...


It's finally quiet here at Upper Pond. We celebrated our second Christmas today and are done with presents and eating. I don't want to cook for a long while. My boys may not see another cookie in their lunch until February, seeing as if that is how long it will get my baking mojo back.
We are busy enjoying the holiday week off of school. Skiing has been our favorite activity, followed by the new xBox and accompanying games. Not sure if books have been picked up as a go-to activity around here.

Enjoy the rest of the week.

1. It's called a Snow Angel...and believe me that name is pure deception. With seven shots of alcohol, it's the devil in disguise.
2. We are lucky to have grandparents close by. It helped make the celebration that much more special.
3. Buddy ate the gravy, which led to some gas, which led to Matt having fun. Poor Buddy.
On a sidenote: one of the most favorite things to happen on Christmas was catching Matt singing in church. I had to peek out of the corner of my eye to catch it. But he was there and it was good.
4. Ryan leaned over to me at church and told me how wonderful if all was (favorite thing #2). Maybe we should show up more often. We have, regrettably, fallen into the Lily and pointsettia club.
5. This was a transition year for us. We still honored many of our old Santa traditions, without much spirit. We are all trying to find our way in the new traditions. I think this might take a few years. Growing pains for all of us.

13 comments:

MadMad said...

Hellllloooo? Snow Angel recipe? Pretty please? Also, lily poinsetta explanation? I'm totally with you on the baking - NO MORE! So done with making cookies! And eating bad stuff all day long. Don't remember the last time I ate a fruit or a vegetable. Mostly just cookies...

Pamplona said...

The snow angel sounds heavenly!

Jane said...

Rachel-See the recipe below. Be careful...they can pack a punch. In our family we call the people that show up for church at Easter and Christmas the Lily and Pointsettia club. With hockey and other excuses we tend not to show as much as we should.

And for both of you-

This is a Snow Angel
2 oz. chocolate vodka
2 oz. white creme de cacao
2 oz. Irish Liquor...I used baileys
1 oz. orange liqueur

Add ice to shaker...throw everything in and strain
top with shaved chocolate.

a friend to knit with said...

oh, i need to have a snow angel before january... as my stomach is going on a sweet hiatus after that!
YUMM!

my Charlie is the one who motivates us for church...

Mary said...

Giggling over the picture of Buddy. Happy New Year Jane - Cheers!

Magnolia Handspun said...

That is so sweet that you caught him singing...my kids too have been nudging to go to church more often.
I smiled reading about your devil in disquise...too funny!
I think we are wrapping up the holidays today..getting the Christmas tree out, mopping the floors and letting some fresh winter air in.

kristina said...

My baking mojo seems to have gone, too. Hopefully back in time for Valentines. K x

Denise | Chez Danisse said...

Your Snow Angel does look dangerous, in a good way. Enjoy.

Larissa said...

I didn't know chocolate vodka existed - totally need to get out more!
we do hebrew school every week but have a hard time getting to temple on fri nights 'cause we live an hour away - 9pm drives with three cranky sleepy kiddos are not fun! but that's the price you pay for life in the country. Happy New Year to you and your family Jane!

magnusmog said...

Wishing you all every happiness in the New Year.

molly said...

I'm curious to try the snow angel too! If we ever get any truly wintery weather here in the DC-area. Glad you had a good christmas, Jane. I scarcely decorated this year myself, and we still have believers in the house.

Yolanda said...

I am glad to have found your blog and will be back often in the coming year. I hope you have a wonderful new year.

rosemary said...

Great post Jane!Thanks for recipe, it's a definite must try!
You are so lucky to have grandparents close by.
Happy New Year to you and your family!

well, hello there...

 I thought I might start writing again.  Not sure what I will want to talk about.  The guys have their own lives and are making...