Friday, January 30, 2015

...in the depth of winter

It's been a cold January here in the Northeast.  And by the looks of it, the start of February doesn't look like it will be much warmer.  Unfortunately, even with the cold weather I have to go out and drive around in it!  While driving I usually listen to podcasts.  I've been trying to catch up on an old favorite called "Good Eats."  On the latest episode, the host had baker and author Zoe Nathan as a guest.  She was a delight to listen to! 


The host and Zoe chatted about pies and of course made me quite hungry!
Later in the day, I happened upon her cookbook in our library and I knew it was fate that I was to bake up some delights this weekend.


I had blueberries in the freezer that were picked this summer and I went to work after the boys went to school. Blueberry scones for this wintry day!


I urge everyone to run and get this cookbook.  The blueberry scones are not heavy, stick-in-your-stomach scones that you might envision.  They are light and airy and full of flavor.


They expand quite a bit when baking, so when she tells you to spread the scones out on two baking pans....listen to her.  I did not and thus had blobs of scones on the pan.


Nevertheless, they were wonderful...if I do say so myself.


I'm off to purchase this book for my collection.  There is so much I want to bake.  
Now all I need is for the temperatures to warm up so I can run off all this yummy goodness!


5 comments:

MadMad said...

Oh, man, those look yummy!!! I'll check out the podcast, too - I've been doing audible for the long rides to lacrosse, and it's been a nice way to catch up on some "reading."

Andi G said...

I love that podcast. Despite that fact, I try not to listen too often or else I would have to quit my job and cook all day.
These pics are making me drool!

Rachel said...

I'm so happy to see you posting again!

Oh, this book...I had it on my wishlist and almost bought it a couple weeks ago when I was given a gift certificate to amazon. But upon reading the reviews, it sounded like there were a ton of errors in the recipes and so I didn't end up getting it. But now I'm kicking myself after reading your review and seeing those scones!

thistledowns wool & cotton said...

sounds like my kind of food! i'm definitely going to look for this! love your pics btw. totally sold me!

a friend to knit with said...

mmmmmm.
i can almost taste it with your awesome photography!

well, hello there...

 I thought I might start writing again.  Not sure what I will want to talk about.  The guys have their own lives and are making...