I have no idea how to start this post. Should I just lie and say my weekend was splendid? Ryan was away with his dad at a hockey tournament, so Matt and I must have had some good quality time together, right?
Wrong! We did have the quality time, but happy it was not.
I'm not going to sugarcoat it. Matt found himself in trouble this weekend. Big trouble. It's not life threatening,or police related, or something so bad that he can't dig himself out of. But for a kid that has never been in the Principal's office this is big for him
I wondered if I should write about it, but then decided to at least talk about the feelings we are going through as parents and child.
1. It's hockey related. Hormones racing and not one rational thought going through his mind. He was skating away from the trouble, when trouble came looking for him. The opposing skater was chirping in his ear as he skated away...until Matt could take no more.
2. He found himself suspended from all further play and practice. Tears and let down have followed. I'm glad to see that he is truly remorseful.
3. I have felt sick to my stomach all weekend. I have always known that my kids would make mistakes and as they grow older, those mistakes would be greater. But, when a big one comes, your heart breaks for him and all you can do is be supportive and let the chips fall where they may.
4. I'm thankful for my hockey parents who were very supportive. They know that Matt is an awesome kid and this was a fluke. They have spoken to Matt and me and have encouraged us to keep our chins up.
5. This has been a valuable lesson to Matt. A true life lesson, which I'm sure, he will tell his kids about someday. But right now, it's hard for him . The parenting is hard. And it just plain stinks.