Monday, September 10, 2007

Living in a Fishbowl

My husband and I have discussed many times our rental options in the Adirondacks. First of all I have to mention that we could kick ourselves for not taking a risk nine years ago by opening our wallets and buying a place. After 9/11, the prices of the camps sky-rocketed and they are pretty much untouchable.
So, the house that we rent is really pretty nice. It can sleep twelve, has a washer/dryer, pool table etc... It certainly isn't a roughing it trip! However, it does have one major drawback. The house sits in the middle of several small cabins..on a small hill. So we feel as if we are the lord and lady looking down on all of of our serfs. Everybody knows what you are doing and essentially we have zero privacy.
Since we have been returning to the same place each year we have gotten to know all the other people that return. Our children have grown together and now are pretty much self-sufficient. We would really like to rent a different house that is a lot more private, yet as our children approach those delicate middle years it would be nice to have other kids to spend time with. I guess we will see what happens. Maybe I should just go buy a lottery ticket and hope for the best!
The first week of school was a success! Both boys love their teachers and are off to a great start. I always get a bit sentimental this time of year. I miss that first week of school when everyone is on their best behavior and you have eager eyes in front of you. I am really toying with the idea of going back, but I am not sure if everyone is ready to accept the change in lifestyle that would entail. I will have to ponder on that some more. It has been tremendously dry in this area so my perennials have died off earlier that usual. I am hoping for some rain so I can split and transfer some overgrown plants before the winter months.










1 comment:

Tracy Batchelder said...

Looks like a lovely rental. It would be hard to give it up.

well, hello there...

 I thought I might start writing again.  Not sure what I will want to talk about.  The guys have their own lives and are making...