Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Making

My knitting mojo hasn't quite returned since the holidays and I'm finding it difficult to finish up the socks. But I'm having no problem baking and cooking new things. I have a lot of pumpkin in my cupboard so I went in search for a new recipe.
I found this one. I didn't put the nuts or raisins in ( although I think those two items would be a nice addition) but did add chocolate chips. This recipe makes a lot, so I made twenty-four mini muffins and froze six mega muffins for later use.
I
Soup seems to be on my mind this past month. I recently checked out a Moosewood cookbook from the library. Ryan loves cheddar soup so I was looking for a semi-healthy version. This seemed to fit the bill. He ate it right up without ever knowing it was filled with all these veggies. One piece of advice that I would give, is to at least double the recipe. It says it makes four to six servings, but I have a sneaking suspicion that it's serving in cups.
enjoy!

Golden Cheddar Cheese Soup
from The Moosewood Restaurant Cooks at Home

1 c. chopped onions
2 tbls. vegetable oil
2 medium potatoes, thinly sliced
1 medium carrot, thinly sliced
1 medium yellow summer squash, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
pinch of turmeric
2 cups vegetable stock or water
1 cup buttermilk or milk
1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
salt to taste
:::::::
minced fresh scallions. chives, or parsley

Saute the onions in the oil for about 5 minutes or until the onions begin to soften. Stir in the potatoes, carrots, squash, black pepper, and turmeric. Add the stock or water and simmer for 15-20 minutes until the vegetables are soft. Stir in the buttermilk or mild and the cheese. Puree the soup in a blender or food processor. Gently reheat. Add salt to taste and serve topped with minced scallions, chives or parsley.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

It sounds lovely and I have that book, must take a look.

Rose said...

I love that cookbook! I'm only eating soups for awhile, thanks to my dental woes, so thanks for a new one!

Liz said...

Thank you for sharing! I'm going to make this soup ... and check the library for the cookbook, too.

a friend to knit with said...

YUMM! putting squash on my list!
snow day today.... which is PERFECT for soup!

MadMad said...

Did you run them by your dog first? Heh! I was just passing on your fab kale chip recipe at my knitting group last night (and telling them the dog story). I'll have to give these a try!

Magnolia Handspun said...

Love Moosewood...can't go wrong with any of here books!

Andi said...

I seem to be on a soup kick as of late, so this recipe is going to be on the burner this weekend. Thank you for the recipe. I may have to add those muffins as well!

ColorSlut said...

Nom Nom - they both look so yummy! I'll have to try them.

Larissa said...

I will make both of those too.
Have absolutely no idea why i never made this soup - it looks and sounds so yummy! thanks so much for sharing.

Rachel said...

Yum--thanks for sharing the recipe. I have about 4 Moosewood cookbooks and adore each and every one of them.

Hope your mojo returns to finish up those socks...such a beautiful color!

alexandra said...

a girl after my own heart. . . skipping the nuts and raisins and adding chocolate chips. YUM!

well, hello there...

 I thought I might start writing again.  Not sure what I will want to talk about.  The guys have their own lives and are making...